Pop-Tarts, seems like the iconic American breakfast and snack treat. Great when you are in a crunch and need something quick and easy for breakfast on the fly. These Berry Breakfast Tarts are a hat tip to a store bought favorite.
My husband, loves Pop-Tarts! Since he was a kid, and even as an adult, he has been eating these for years. I remember buying these right after we were married, at least 2-3 boxes to have on hand was a must.
I have to say, this was my first experience with Pop-Tarts. Surprisngly, I came to enjoy them too!
At the time, Chocolate Fudge and Brown Sugar were his favorites. However, Cookies and Cream and Cherry also entered into the picture and it became a toss up!
These berry breakfast tarts are dedicated to him. To keep them a bit more on the healthy side, I focused on just filling them with strawberry and blueberry jam. By the way, this is how I justify eating them although making it a fruit serving might be pushing it.
Pastry: This hails from a classic sweet pastry dough recipe with the addition of fresh orange zest that really brightens up this dough and goes perfectly with the fruit fillings.
I can’t say enough about this sweet and buttery pastry. Delicious just doesn’t describe it enough as it totally melts in your mouth!!!
Store Bought Forgotten
Regardless, I received two big thumbs up from him and he said they were even better than the boxed version!! Woo-hoo! Guess I’m going to be pretty busy in the kitchen making these on a regular basis…..
The best part is decorating these with the powdered sugar and sprinkles. You can come up with our own creative twist with all the colors of sprinkles. Totally replicates the store bought favorite.
Perfect Side Kicks
The perfect accompaniments to enjoy with these are:
- Tall glass of milk
Hope you give this recipe a try and enjoy it as much as we do!Print
Berry Breakfast Tarts
Sweet pastry dough married with strawberry and blueberry jam for one delcious homemade pastry that will have you craving more than one!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 7 minutes
- Yield: 15 servings 1x
Sweet Pastry Dough
- 12 TBS butter (unsalted, softened)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 TBS orange zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 cup flour
- 1 TBS heavy cream
- blueberry and strawberry jam
- egg wash
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1–2 TBS milk
- In a stand mixer with a paddle, cream together the butter and sugar till fluffy.
- Add the vanilla bean paste and orange zest and mix till combined.
- Add the flour and mix till combined then add the cream. The dough should come together nicely.
- Remove the dough from the bowl. Place in plastic wrap and flatten into a disc.
- Refrigerate 30 min to an hour.
- Flour a surface and roll the dough out to about 1/4″ thick. Use pastry cutters to cut into large squares or other shapes. You can use smaller cutters to make a mini version.
- Cut duplicates for each design in pairs as they will be sandwiched together between a layer of jam.
- Place about 1-2 tsp of jam onto the center of each pastry bottom for the smaller tarts and a bit more for the larger variations. Spread leaving a border around the pastry and do not spread the jam to the end of the pastry as the filling can leak out.
- Egg wash the border lightly and place the tops over the bottom and press on the edges to seal. Dip a fork with egg wash and press lightly all around the edges to seal in the filling.
- Brush each pastry with some of the egg wash.
- Using the end of a cake tester, poke gently 2 holes in the top of each pastry. You want to keep these small so the filling does not ooze out.
- Bake about 10-15 minutes just till the pastry turns slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Mix the powdered sugar and milk together. You want this mixture to be a bit thicker than a usual glaze, so start with 1 TBS. Place a small splash of vanilla and mix well. The icing should be a bit thicker.
- Spoon on top of each pastry and decorate with sprinkles.
This recipe was adapted from Duff Bakes