Here is a delicious birthday cake version whoopie pie you can make for anyone on your birthday list.
It starts with a delicious vanilla cake made with buttermilk that gives it such a rich and delicious mouth feel. Before baking, it’s sprinkled with the traditional multicolored birthday sprinkles to give it that traditional and festive birthday themed appeal.
After baking it is filled with a wonderful traditional buttercream that completes this delicious pie and taste just like a slice of birthday cake. Also, you could also put a scoop of ice cream in the middle instead for a real birthday cake and ice cream experience. Two for one!
I use a star tip to pipe the buttercream into each pie to give it a unique look.
Another great way to enjoy these soft and cake like cookies is simply just on their own without any icing!
Other Whoopie Pies
Check out some of my other whoopie pie favoritesPrint
Birthday Cake Whoopie Pie
Delicious vanilla cake loaded with multicolored sprinkles sandwiched together with vanilla buttercream for the perfect slice of birthday cake in a whoopie pie.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 13 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 beaten egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 TBS milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 1/4–1/3 cup birthday multicolored sprinkles
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 TBS French Vanilla liquid coffee creamer
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and cream of tartar in a bowl and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugar till creamy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Add in half of the flour mixture and mix well. Add in the buttermilk and mix till combined.
- Add the other half of the flour in and mix well.
- Whisk together the baking soda, vinegar, and milk. Add this to the creamed mixture and mix on low till mixture is full combined and creamy.
- Scoop with a small to medium scoop on the cookie sheets. You should get about 25-26 scoops.
- Sprinkle on the colored sprinkles making sure to cover each scoop of dough generously. Press down gently to adhere the sprinkles to the dough.
- Bake about 15 minutes until done when the cake springs back.
- Cool completely before filling with the buttercream.
- Make the buttercream while the cookies are cooling.
- After the cakes are cooled, couple the cakes together for tops and bottoms, matching the tops and bottoms equally.
- Cream the butter and shortening together till creamy.
- Add in the powdered sugar, creamer, and vanilla and mix on low till just comes together then turn to medium high and whip 1-2 minutes till fluffy. Adjust with more creamer if too stiff.
- Put int piping bag and with a star tip and pipe icing onto each bottom of the whoopie pie.
- Place tops onto each cake and press gently to adhere.
Recipe adapted from “The Busy Mother’s Cookbook”