Here in my family, we all LOVE ice cream. This apple crunch version is a play on my husband favorite apple pie recipe and it makes for one delicious ice cream flavor!
Apple Pie Ice Cream- Inspiration
After we were first married, I picked up baking in my small kitchen in Germany. I remember going to the library on our small post in search of cookbooks and recipes.
One recipe I completely hit the jackpot on was this amazing Apple Crunch Pie. I believe it was from a Woman’s Day magazine I was receiving by mail.
This pie was amazing. It has a delicious apple filling covered with a crunchy topping that went perfectly with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I have made this pie for almost 30 years now! It’s very similar to a Dutch Apple version. It was the perfect marriage of smooth and crunchy.
Apple Pie to Ice Cream
I decided for the summer to adapt that delicious pie into an amazing apple pie ice cream. The best part about this is you get to have your piece of pie and ice cream all in one dessert, minus the crust!
Ice Cream Basics
Ice cream can be made in so many ways and versions. Do you like your ice cream rich and creamy? Or, light and creamy? Over the years, I have made many versions experimenting in my kitchen. Even with cream cheese. Mostly, I love the richness and use fresh cream and egg yolks to really bring that flavor home of what ice cream should taste like!
Ironically, I even made a homemade version that had a little bit of flour in the recipe? Strange huh? It tasted pretty good.
Home Run Version
This apple version is a real home run. Perfect topped with caramel sauce and whipped cream. I think it’s great to enjoy any time of the year but especially for July 4th celebrations!
Check out another favorite of mine: Toasted Coconut Ice Cream
Let me know if you try this and what you think!Print
Apple Crunch Ice Cream
Dutch apple pie reinvented into one delicious ice cream flavor
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 apple (I used red delicous)
- 1 TBS butter
- 2 TBS brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- drizzle honey
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 TBS flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 stick butter (chopped into cubes)
- In a saucepot, heat the milk to scalding, not boiling.
In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with the sugar till mixed well.
- Temper the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture whisking constantly to bring the eggs up to temperature of the milk.
- Add this egg mixture back into the saucepan and continue to whisk constantly and cook till it is thickened slightly and at the nappe stage.
You will be able to run your finger down your spatula and it will not dissappear. Be careful not to allow the mixture to boil.
- Remove from the heat and strain. Add the vanilla and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, add the cream and mix well. Cover and refrigerate till the mixture is cold, about 2-3 hours or overnight.
- In an ice cream freezer, freeze the mixture till it is thick and creamy. Place this in a freezer storage container.
- Immediately add the apples and crunch topping and swirl to mix. Add more of the crunch topping to the top and freeze till firm.
- Peel and slice apple into about 1/2″ size pieces.
- In a skillet, melt the butter and add the apples. Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, and honey and cook 2-4 minutes till apples are tender.
Remove and cool.
Add to the ice cream mixture upon freezing.
- Mix together all the topping ingredients except butter. Add the sliced butter and mix till a crumbly mixture.
- Place on a parchment line cookie sheet and spread out into a single layer.
- Bake 400 about 5-6 minutes till medium brown. Once cooled break apart the crunch topping and add to the ice cream mixture.
This crunch topping was adapted from Woman’s Day Magazine Apple Crunch Pie recipe
Keywords: apple, ice cream