The fourth of July is just around the corner and ice cream immediately comes to mind for some type of dessert to celebrate America with. I have loved ice cream sandwiches since I was a kid and wanted to get into the kitchen to create a patriotic version of this cool and yummy treat!
Big lover of ice cream sandwiches, loved it when my mom would bring them home from the grocery store. Now they have the mini versions that allows you to feel less guilty indulging.
In the past, I’ve have had some fun making them at home with different ice cream flavors squeezing that between home baked cookies. Yum, super simple and easy way to create a “homestyle” version.
This year, I wanted to do a double version and:
- Go traditional with a chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream
- Red crunchy cookie with vanilla ice cream
For the chocolate version, I use a super easy recipe for the cake and bake it in a 1/4 sheet pan topped with red, white, and blue sprinkles; of course. It bakes off for just a short time and done in no time. This is just like a traditional ice cream sandwich cake. Super soft and cakey.
Red Cookie Cake
Second and not least, is a sweet and slightly crunchy red cookie. I color the batter red with cake colors and load it up with white and blue sprinkles. It bakes up quickly too and this one is slightly more crisper than the chocolate version.
Since this is a special occasion, celebrating America, I wanted to go the extra mile and make a homemade vanilla ice cream. The recipe is a traditional custard made with milk, sugar, egg yolks, and cream.
You can use any ice cream here and flavor from the grocery store! Let the grocery store do the work for you.
Hmmm, I can’t decide which one I like best so I had to have one of both! Super delicious and perfect on a hot summer day. And…. celebrating America!
Happy July 4th!!!Print
Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches
Delicious cake and cookie with patriotic sprinkles encloses vanilla ice cream for a perfect treat to celebrate America!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 sandwiches 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 3 TBS unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/4 cup + 2TBS sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2TBS flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup milk
Red Cookie Batter
- 1 stick unsalted butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp strawberry or raspberry extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- red gel coloring
- 1 quart vanilla icre cream
- Spray a 1/4 sheet pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350.
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together till fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Combine the dry ingredients. Add half to the butter mixture and mix well, add the milk and mix till combined. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix till a creamy batter is formed.
- Spread with an offset spatula in the pan. Sprinkle red, white, and blue sprinkles on top of the batter and bake about 10 min till the cake is done and toothpick inserted is dry. Remove and cool completely.
Red Cookie Batter
- Spray a 1/4 sheet pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 375.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter with the sugar till combined. Add the egg and vanilla and mix till combined.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and add to the sugar mixture. Mix on medium low. When combined, add some red color till you get a medium to dark red.
- Spread with an offset spatula in the pan, sprinkle white and blue sprinkles on top of the batter. Bake about 10-15 min till done and toothpick inserted is dry. Remove and cool completely.
- Allow the ice cream so softened and spread into a 1/4 sheet pan and spread evenly. Freeze till firm.
If using homemade, spread into the pan after making and freeze.
- For each of the cakes, use a circle or square cutter about 2 1/4″ wide and cut shapes. You will get approximately 12 squares out of each cake/cookie.
- Cut the squares right up against the others.
- Line tops and bottoms on a sheet pan, ready to fill with ice cream.
- Cut the ice cream with the same cutter. You should get 12 squares.
- Place an ice cream square onto each bottom and then place the top on each. Freeze immediately till firm.
- Wrap individually in saran wrap and freeze until ready to serve.