Spiced Cake-A Fall Favorite
Apples and Spice and Everything Nice
Apple cake is truly one of my fall favorite cakes to bake. It makes me think about the cooler temps, the leaves falling, and sipping hot tea or cider. This cake is the perfect accompaniment and loaded with fall spices of cinnamon and nutmeg. Great for snacking too.
I can’t recall where I got this recipe for but it’s definitely a keeper. I use this recipe mainly for cupcakes and small mini loaves for individual servings.
It’s a super simple recipe to put together as there are no apples to chop, that’s right….the apple flavor comes from applesauce which makes this quick and easy to whip up.
I use the unsweetened applesauce as there is enough sugar already in the recipe.
When I had my home based cake business I used this recipe for a fall cupcake flavor and it always got such rave reviews by all my customers. It’s truly a terrific mix of spices and I make this year after year. It is definitely my go to recipe and pairs fantastically with a vanilla buttercream or a cream cheese icing.
Here I use vanilla buttercream and make it a mini cake version in the form of a mini loaf pan. I use a plain round tip for the piping for a fun presentation. Of course always requires some sprinkles to make it fun. Find a fun design to go with.
I know you will love this recipe as much as I have over the years and hands down its truly a 5 star recipe in my book. I hope you try it and come to love it as much as I have.
Spiced Apple Cake
Light and fluffy cake made with spices and applesauce.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 mini loaves 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Apple Spice Cake
- 1/2 stick butter (unsalted, softened)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 cup applesauce
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 stick butter (unsalted, softened)
- 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners or grease a mini loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening and butter with the sugar till creamy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices till combined. Add the applesauce and mix well till full incorporated.
- Fill the pan 3/4 full with batter. Place in oven and bake 15-20 minutes till done.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely. Remove from pan and decorate with icing.
Cream Cheese Icing
- In a mixing bowl, cream the cream cheese and butter till fluffy. Slowly add the powdered sugar till incorporated and mix on low.
- Add the vanilla and whip for about one minute till all smooth. You can add more sugar (1-2 TBS more) for a stiffer icing if desired.
- Pipe with a plain tip dollops of icing in rows on top of each cake.
Makes about 12 cupcakes and 8 mini loaves.