Love, love coconut! I think I have from the get go! It’s an ingredient that’s flavor is so satisfying and can be used in so many ways. Here I use it in a creamy and delicious toasted version of ice cream. Absolutely divine!
Coconut is used in a variety of ways in this amazing ice cream, really, it’s so amazing. Three is not a crowd here, as it is used in the following ways:
Maybe I got a little carried away….. but it really works.
Remembering back in culinary school, I made a similar version I believe with pineapple or blueberries. One of my Chef Instructors loved the toasted coconut in the ice cream and mentioning that he would of never thought of doing that. Yeah, I felt pretty awesome with that praise 🙂
Fast forward, I’ve changed up the recipe a bit and incorporated more star components and I think it makes for one incredible tropical dessert.
The ice cream is so creamy, the coconut milk combined with the half and half and cream bring a delicious mouthfeel that is like music in your mouth. The addition of the extract brings all the flavors together.
Toasting the coconut brings a little crunch for texture that’s certainly welcoming and pairs so well with the cold and creamy ice cream base.
There are many ways you can serve this:
- Stand alone, in a bowl with a sprinkle of toasted coconut
- Between two sugar cookies for a delightful ice cream sandwich
- Topped on a chocolate whoopie pie
If you are an ice cream lover, try this Apple Pie version for fall!
Toasted Coconut Ice Cream
Creamy coconut ice cream with toasted coconut throughout for a fabulous tropical dessert
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp coconut extract
- 1 cup coconut
- In a saucepot on the stove, heat the milk, half and half, and sugar till a steep, but not boiling.
In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks till combined well.
Temper the milk mixture into the yolks whisking constantly.
- Pour the yolk mixture back into the saucepan and cook on medium whisking constantly till the mixture slightly thickens where it can coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove and pour through a strainer. Allow to sit on the counter and stir often to cool the mixture to room temperature.
Add the coconut extract and cream. Mix well to combine and cover and place in the refrigerator till cooled or overnight.
Toast the coconut and store in an airtight container till ready to use.
- In an ice cream freezer, place the cooled mixture in and process till the mixture is thick and churned.
- Place in a freezer container. Fold in the toasted coconut to evenly spread throughout the ice cream. Freeze till firm. Serve with some toasted coconut on top.
- Preheat oven to 350. Place coconut on a sheet pan evenly. Toast about 5-10 minutes till lightly golden brown. Remove and cool.