With the entry of a new year, I know we all resolute to eat healthy, right? After a calorie heavy holiday, it’s time to usher in some good and healthy eats! These Zucchini Orange Muffins are just the ticket that are loaded with zucchini and just a touch of fresh orange.
Zucchini is something I have been eating since I was a kid. I love it! Lately, I’ve been on the “Zoodle” kick and find ways to incorporate this awesome veg as a pasta.
I remember the first time I had zucchini muffins, it was at a steakhouse as these little beauties were placed in the mini bread basket brought to the table before you steak arrived. Totally fell in love with these. I think I ate them all on the spot!! Oh so good!
Digging Up An Old Favorite
Going through an old cookbook I handmade, I rediscovered one of my favorite recipes for these muffins. Perfect timing as I was craving a healthy muffin.
Zucchini Muffins-Recipe Redo
I decided to revamp the recipe just a little to make it healthier by adding fresh orange zest, replacing some of the oil with applesauce, and adding more spices.
The orange zest just totally makes this recipe. It brings an amazing flavor profile to this spiced treat and such a brightness to your palate. Your mouth will be so happy eating one of these, or maybe two.
Also, I added some cake flour to lighten it up. It’s almost like a cupcake muffin. Win-Win!!!
Check out a few other of my favorites:Print
Zucchini Orange Muffins
Delicious muffin loaded with zucchini, orange zest, and spices to make this a healthy indulgence.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 mufffins 1x
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cake flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- pinch salt
- 1 orange (zested)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup zucchini (grated)
- Prepare muffin pan with liners for 6-7 muffin cups.
Preheat oven to 350.
- In a bowl, combine the flours, spices, baking soda, salt, and orange zest. Mix well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugars with the egg till combined. Add the oil, vanilla, and applesauce.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl of the wet ingredients. Mix till combined.
- Place the zucchini in a paper towel and squeeze the excess moisture out. Place this in the batter and fold in.
- Scoop into muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake 18-20 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Recipe can easily be doubled to make a dozen muffins.